We have created several custom designs over the years (see our portfolio) and have a basic process that works for most of our clients. We are always open to other processes if you need something a little different.
Our Web Design Process
When creating a new web design, we will work with you to ensure you are happy with every aspect of the design. Below is a general idea of how we work with our clients with a standard design package (finished product would be custom home page and custom internal page).
- Discovery. We will talk to our client and figure out your design needs and priorities. This initial step will allow us to comprehend your business structure, as well as if you have any special needs (Ex. Section 508 compatibility). We will then ask you to provide us with a few links to web sites you think are easy to navigate and have good web design. Not everyone has the same design tastes, and we can appreciate this. By looking at the sites our clients send us, we can begin talking to you about what you like with specific examples.
- Content. We will then work with our client to go over content areas (what content you want presented in our client’s header, footer, sidebar, on the home page, etc. Design integrity is important and making sure you have content to fit into an actual design is a must. We do not need all content at this point, but we do ask for some real content for the designer to use in the initial designs so our client can see what their content will look like within the design.
- Review Cycles. Once the designer has completed the design – they will then present the design to you for your review highlighting each part of the design and their reasoning behind the layouts. After the design has been presented – we ask our clients to enter into the official revision cycles compromised of two major revisions and two minor revisions. Major revisions include major layout changes, complete color schemes, and the addition/subtraction of any major graphical pieces (featured content, slideshow). All revisions must be supplied to our design in a written format. Minor revisions include font changes, spacing changes, minor color changes.
- Additional Views/Layouts. For some clients a home page and internal page design is all they need. If you want to have additional layouts – we are always happy to help with those as well.
- End Product. We will then provide our client with a layered PSD (Photoshop file) of each custom layout. From there we can take the designs and implement them into WordPress themes, Drupal themes, or a custom web site.
Contact Sandbox Consultants for a free work estimate regarding your web design needs.