WordPress 2.9. has officially been released. This update has a number of changes and updates and contains a number of really cool features for both developers and users.
For users – you will notice a few things that might catch your eye:
- Easy embeds. Simply copy and paste your a URL from YouTube, etc and it will auto turn it into an embedded video.
- Trash. Now when you have the option to “trash” posts and pages so if you delete something but want to retrieve it later, you can (until you empty the trash)
- Image Editor. Now you can easily manage (crop, resize, etc) your images without using your favorite grpahics program
For developers – here are some of my favorites:
- New custom gallery code that lets you include/exclude items as well as pull in attachments from other posts.
- Post thumbnails. (Just enable and go!)
- Support location of category templates based on ‘category-slug’ (nice especially when you have more than one install with different category IDs
- Added ‘excerpt_more’ filter to wp_trim_excerpt() function, which allow developers to change excerpt ‘[…]’ more string
Download the latest versions of WordPress: WordPress 2.9